Bratts tour of UK & Ireland



Auckland to Heathrow

Heathrow to Gatwick

Gatwick to Bath

Bath to Port Isaac

Port Isaac to Dorchester

Dorchester to Abbey Wood

London - Day 7

London - Day 8

Abbey Wood to Ashford


Ashford to Brecon

Brecon to Abergavenny

Abergavenny to Chester

Chester to Stranraer

Stranraer to Omagh

Omagh to Dublin

Dublin to Glenville

Glenville to Lough Ree

Lough Ree to Belfast

Belfast to Loch Lomond

Loch Lomond to Inverness

Inverness to the Grampians

The Grampians to Edinburgh

Edinburgh to Consett

Consett to Doncaster

Doncaster to Warwick

Warwick to Moreton-In-Marsh

Moreton-In-Marsh to Cirencester

Cirencester to Fareham

Fareham to Heathrow to Hong Kong

Hong Kong - Day 1

Hong Kong - Day 2

Hong Kong - Day 3

The Director's Cut

Tour Costs


Contact Us

Bratts Website Homepage

England flagIrish flagscottish flagwelsh flagUnion JackQueen Elizabeth

Day 2 - Heathrow to Gatwick 30/05/05
Arriving on a balmy English bank holiday, 10ºC, cloudy and drizzling was not unexpected, but the empty airport did seem strange. There didn't appear to be any airport security, customs or bio-security at Heathrow; we picked up our bags and slipped out the door without seeing a soul. The bank holiday did cause a small problem as our first stop was of course the bank or wasn’t in this case.

After a long walk in endless underground tunnels we purchased a (National Express) bus/train ticket, at a cost of £22.50 each, to the Portsmouth motorhome firm where, fortunately, earning a dollar comes before taking a bank holiday. On the train ride I experienced my first look at English houses - rows and rows of brown brick two storey houses joined together houses that all looked the same. The temperature had now risen to 16ºC, however when it was only 10ºC it was 6am.

After a quick tour (driving round lost) of Portsmouth and shopping for pillows, food and diesel we headed for Gatwick to be closer to London where our Lloyds bank branch was. Although we had brought some English pounds we wanted to get the cash point card we had organised through our NZ bank.

Every campground needs an airport close byBy 4.00pm we had been going 42 hours without sleep and I decided on a quick cat-nap for two hours. Two hours turned into 14 hours and we woke up in line with British waking hours and without a hint of jet lag. Imagine our surprise when we stepped outside the motorhome and realised we were on the flight path to Gatwick with planes coming and going every five minutes and we hadn’t heard a single thing in the last 14 hours.

Next page...